Saturday 9 February 2013

Valentine's Day

As you all know today is Valentine's Day. This is the second year running I have been single on this day but that is not the reason why I am cynical about this holiday. Even when I have been in relationships, I have ever been keen to celebrate. I feel the whole day has become materialistic and over the top. Who do I blame for this...yes, America, you. You shouldn't feel like you have to spend money to be romantic and show your love how much you care for them. After all, every day with your partner should be a special one.

Valentine's Day dates back to pagan and Roman times but some say was first romanticised by Chaucer.
The earliest surviving valentine is a 15th-century rondeau written by Charles, Duke of Orléans to his wife, which commences.
Je suis desja d'amour tanné
Ma tres doulce Valentinée...
At the time, the duke was being held in the Tower of London following his capture at the Battle of Agincourt, 1415.

Poets have been writing Valentines and love poems for centuries. One of my favourites is A Red Red Rose by Robert Burns:


O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry:

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it ware ten thousand mile.
  


Maybe your Valentine this year would appreciate a heartfelt handwritten poem over a box of chocolates or flowers. Every woman loves a true gentleman and romantic gesture.

I have to end this blog on a comical note however, as I always think of this Simpson's episode on Valentines:
 
Aw poor Ralph!

You could also send this card if your Valentine is anything like me



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment