Wednesday 27 March 2013

Tenerife airport disaster anniversary

On this day 36 years ago, the world's deadliest accident in aviation history occurred. Two Boeing 747 passenger aircraft collided on the runway of Los Rodeos Airport on the Spanish island of Tenerife, one of the Canary Islands, resulting in 583 fatalities.

I was totally unaware of this tragedy until a friend of mine told me about it last week. We were being particularly morbid and talking about how we would react if you were ever in a major disaster, and what we would do to try and survive. I thought I was very strange as I do often have these thoughts when I travel but the group of friends I was with admitted to similar apprehensions. Maybe it is a human instinct to prepare yourself for the worst. I have to say I am lucky in the fact that apart from a couple of unscheduled stops due to medical emergencies, I've never had to even experience an emergency landing aboard a plane, and I have taken several flights every year since I was a few months old. I remember when I was a child always being fascinated by air travel and getting excited about flying. Even though these days flying to me is pretty mundane, I still find it amazing that in a few hours you can be in a completely new destination, thousand of miles and oceans apart from where you took off. That is probably one of the reasons why I love travelling so much.

Going back to the 1977 Tenerife airport disaster, even though it was a horrific event, it highlighted problems in aviation procedures which have since been rectified so that a disaster on this scale should never happen again. If you are like me and find these incidents historically interesting then check out this mini documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1SWe_zi4-o&feature=youtube_gdata_player



No comments:

Post a Comment