Friday 21 June 2013

The Spirit Level

I just finished the book; The Spirit Level - Why Equality is Better for Everyone, and I wanted to share this remarkable piece of work with you.


I have to admit it has taken me a while to read this, as it is like reading a text book at times, but it is well worth the time put into it. It is definitely one of those books that leaves a long lasting impression on yourself, and your ideology.

As the blurb states; This groundbreaking book, based on years of research, provides hard evidence to show:
  • How almost everything - from life expectancy to mental illness, violence to illiteracy - is affected not by how wealthy a society is, but how equal it is
  • That societies with a bigger gap between rich and poor are bad for everyone in them - including the well-off
  • How we can find positive solutions and move towards a happier, fairer future

Now this may seem a bit preachy or airy fairy to some of you, but trust me when I say that some of the research and results really are thought provoking, and profound. It really makes you look at the bigger picture, and questions the current Western society standpoint. I personally enjoyed every quote, graph and statistic the book offered. Even the cartoon images are hilarious but provocative.



I encourage anyone to read this, even if just for the facts, as in the end of the day you can't argue with those. I thank my brother, Oliver, for sending the book my way, and if anyone wants to borrow the copy I have, I would gladly loan it out.

2 comments: